Today I was looking for a sweet treat to feed my cravings for sugar and chocolate and also something simple that my toddler could help in making. I found a really easy recipe for Puppy Chow on Food.com however it was for making a fairly big portion and as my husband is on a diet and its quite sugary for my son to eat too much of; I adjusted the quantities slightly.
My son really enjoyed helping pour the cereal into the bowl after I measured it out along with carefully stirring the melted mixture of chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter – and was even caught sneaking a few chocolate chips! He liked the texture of shaking the bag with the mixture in and seeing the powdered sugar move around the bag.
* For those with nut allergies you could try replacing the peanut butter for a nut-free chocolate spread.
Chex cereal (any kind) – 3 cups
Chocolate chips – 1 cup
Peanut Butter (smooth) – 1/2 cup
Unsalted butter (melted) – 1/8 cup
Vanilla – 1 teaspoon
Powdered Sugar – 1 cup
- Measure Chex cereal into a mixing bowl and put to one side.
- Place chocolate chips, peanut butter and melted butter into a bowl. Microwave for 1 minute.
- Cook for another 15 seconds or until smooth.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour mixture over the cereal and stir until coated.
- Pour mixture into a Ziploc bag and add the powdered sugar.
- Shake well until coated.
- Pour mixture onto baking sheet or waxed paper to cool.