Having two children now means I rely on diet coke and chocolate to keep me awake and energised until bedtime! We had a couple of bars of chocolate in our snack box but I was fancying something a little different and after searching the internet for something chocolatey but also easy to make I adapted a couple of recipes to make these delicious chocolate rolls, only 3 ingredients needed! My son loved “painting” the dough with the egg wash and would of happily painted our kitchen with it for the rest of the morning whilst sneaking a couple of pieces of the chocolate into his mouth when I wasn’t looking!
Chocolate (we used Dairy Milk bar)
Egg + 1 tablespoon water
Powdered Sugar (optional)
What we did:
- Prepare baking tray with parchment/baking paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, separate your puff pastry squares. (If your pastry is a roll then roll out and cut into 5-inch squares).
- Break up your chocolate bar into individual pieces.
- Whisk the egg and water in a bowl until combined. Set aside.
- Place a piece of chocolate at the bottom of each pastry square. Fold the pastry over the chocolate once.
- Lightly brush egg wash over the remaining dough and fold over to seal.
- Place onto baking sheet and brush each pastry with the egg wash. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes to firm up.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool and dust with powdered sugar (optional).
These are so delicious and easy to make and the filling is endless – you could use white, dark, milk chocolate or even chocolate that has different flavourings like orange, strawberry etc….ohh my mouth is watering already! I need to make these again!